It’s December! Time has really flown by this year. A lot of you have been asking for new features and updates to the system and we’ve been taking your suggestions to heart. Unfortunately, many of you have heard time and time again that these sweeping updates will be done soon. “How soon” was the question that we couldn’t answer – but now we can. The application updates are finally here!
The largest update to RhinoFit since 2.0 was released years ago is finally ready to be published. Come Noon on Tuesday, December 3rd, 2019, our developers will publish all of the pending application updates – the most important being the customizable storefront and Point of Sale (POS) user interface for memberships and products. The full description of changes are listed below:
Application Updates, December 2019
Application Updates Implementing New Features
- Primary Application Updates
- Responsive and Customizable Store: The Membership and Product Store can have its look altered by adjusting settings on the “Store Widget” page. When making changes, a sample of how the store will look updates in real time. This is a massive improvement over the css style sheets that had to be manually updated and published because it gives complete control to you. Further, the Membership and Product Store has been overhauled to use Bootstrap Responsive styling, so your store will display properly on a computer or a phone. Finally, the purchasing workflow has been altered to use AJAX (asynchronous communication) instead of POST BACK, creating a streamlined user interface for your customers that feels more like a web application than a web site.
- POS Membership and Product Store: RhinoFit now has a fully integrated Point of Sale (POS) for purchasing memberships and products. It is easily navigated to by main menu links. Once on the desired POS interface, you can select what product(s) or membership should be purchased. Further, the workflow allows the input of a new user or to locate an existing user to assign the purchase to. If the purchaser has no payment profile, you can input a credit card to complete the check out process and store the card for future use. Finally, a copy of the bill or receipt is viewable and printable upon completion of the transaction.
- Quality of Life Application Updates
- Create Past Bills on Import: The import feature can now create historical bills, instead of only future bills and memberships, for users that are imported. Additionally, the process was enhanced to use the same functions used to create memberships and bills in a live setting, which ensures the bills mimic how RhinoFit would naturally generate bills for a membership. Finally, the completion form reports back the number of memberships and bills created, where before it only reported information about the users being imported.
- Move One User to Attended: The Edit Class Time interface now has interactive arrows that enable the movement of the selected and reserved user to attended, where the original interface only allowed the movement of all reserved users to attended.
- Access Log to Track Attendance: The Access Log feature can now be used to have a staff member track attendance of a user, in much the same way the kiosk allows users to track their attendance. You can view the user’s details by selecting a user from the drop down or disabling “Auto Log” – click the “Log Attendance” button to bring up a user interface of classes that user can attend for that day. The staff member can use this window to mark the user as attended for one or more classes. Naturally, these events are logged in the access log as a new event type called “Access Log (Attendance)” and as an attendance record. Finally, this feature has beget the creation of a new event type called “Calendar” to track when attendance records are created by a calendar, as distinguished from the Kiosk or the Access Log.
- Cancelled Bills Report: A new report titled “Cancelled Bills” has been added to the Reports page – it shows all “Cancelled” bills that have a bill date within the selected date range.
- Search by Phone Number: The search bar will now comprehensively search users by their phone numbers and display their phone numbers in the search results, beyond the normal search by barcode, first, and last name.
- Access Log Tab Option: The view member (Administrative UI) and personal information (User UI) now have the option to choose whether to view their Attendance or their Access Log history. For many facilities, this will show similar information. In facilities that do not use classes, the Access Log is the only record of entry and this option enables you to have the same user experience as every RhinoFit user.
- Email or Print Unpaid Bills: Unpaid bills under Home > Financial and on the view member page are now capable of being emailed or printed. If emailed, the the “Bill Reminder” template is used to relay the message. Further, the “Bill Reminder” template now has the #URL# variable that links to a detailed print out of the bill. If printed, a new tab is opened with the bill’s details.
- Print Blank Waivers: All waivers can now be printed as a blank to be filled out by hand. Clicking the print button will open a new tab, prompting you to select a printer, and then return the user interface to the originating page.
- Hide Drop In: Classes now have the option to disable their drop in functionality. If disabled, the “Add Drop-in” button on the edit class time UI is disabled and the student UI will not show any drop-in option.
- Print Bill for Order: All non-cancelled orders, under Products > Orders, now have a button to print its associated bill. If printed, a new tab is opened with the bill’s details.
- Comp or House Payment Type: Accept Payment now has a “Comp / House – offline” method of payment.
- Use Credit to Make Payment: Accept Payment now has a “Use Credit – offline” method of payment when the user has a credit on his/her account. A credit can be used to fully pay off any type of bill, but can not partially pay a bill associated with a product order. All other bills can be partially paid, which will create a new bill from the partially paid bill for the credit amount – the original bill will be reduced by said paid amount. All bills paid in this manner have a payment record created and linked to the bill. Note: the “Custom” amount is not available for credit payments but “Next Bill”, “All Bills”, and “Specific Bill(s)” are available. However, no bills will be paid under “All Bills” or “Specific Bill(s)” if there is insufficient credit available – the UI provides visual queues, information, and warnings to inform you of the expected behavior.
- “Check In” Automation: There is a new “Check In” Automation that triggers a set number of days after a user’s first log in.
- Punch Pass Automations: There are new student and owner automations for punch pass memberships. These are distinct from non-punch pass memberships because they can expire via the passage of time or by being used up. These automations detect how many punches are left and trigger when the user has the indicated number remaining. However, the standard automations for expiring memberships still control if the punch pass is not being used and would otherwise expire by the mere passage of time.
- Batch Functionality: Home > Financial now has several batch functions, each with their own included “Toggle” button.
- Batch Retry Failed Bills: One of these is the ability to retry a batch of failed bills. Instead of clicking retry on each bill, the Batch Retry button launches a UI that enables you to select bills en masse to be retried.
- Batch Cancel Outstanding Bills: Another batch feature allowed the mass cancelling of outstanding bills by clicking the “Batch Cancel” button under the Outstanding Tab.
- Batch Manual Outstanding Bills: Finally, this batch feature allows the mass setting of outstanding bills from the billing type “Automatic” to “Manual”.
- Creation of Custom Email Templates: Under Communication > Email Templates, there is a new UI that allows you to create your own email templates to then use in the Communication > Send E-mail feature. These templates have limited access to variables associated with your facility and the user being emailed, which are listed in the template UI. The Send E-mail feature no longer draws from the E-mail Setup or Automations templates because those have access to dynamic variables that only exist during the triggering event and are otherwise not associated with the user or your gym at rest.
- Default Renewal Type: All facilities can now set their membership’s default renewal type in their Setup > Setup > Configuration page. This will affect the default setting when adding a membership to a user, when creating a package from a membership, or when a membership is listed on the public store front without being associated to a package. The UI has a help box containing detailed information about the setting and what it does.
- Prevent Calendar Conflicts: All facilities can now prevent calendar conflicts between user reservations, attendance, and appointments. This is a selectable option in your Setup > Setup > Configuration page. Without this option enabled, staff and users can double book classes and appointments. For facilities where this causes issues, this option ensures that every reservation, attendance, and appointment request checks to ensure that user does not already have a reservation, attendance, or appointment record at that time. Note: these queries are resource intensive and will marginally degrade performance for end users at larger facilities (i.e., if you have over 500 users or dozens of classes or appointments on any given day).
- Wait List Cap: All classes can have a wait list limit set. Once this limit is reached, edit class time will grey out the add wait list input and the student calendar will explain that the wait list is full.
Application Updates to Existing Features
- Reservation Over Limit Grey Out: The “Reserve Member” input on edit class time will grey out when the reservation limit is met. Previously, this would not grey out and allow a staff or owner to enter another member to reserve – resulting in an error message that stated the class time’s reservation limit had been met.
- Gender Tool Tip on Import: The import function now has a tool tip for the gender field, indicating that “f” is for female and “m” is for male. All other inputs result is no gender being set for the individual user.
- Email From Facility Name: Outgoing emails will no longer remove periods from their “Email From” field. This has no effect on deliverability but is an aesthetic improvement.
- Additional Time Zone “Pacific/Honolulu”: For the Time Zone drop down, Pacific > Honolulu is added for facilities located in Hawaii.
- Deleted Users Tab: Deleted users now have their own tab on the People > People page. This separates deleted users from all other user types, including the “All” tab, decluttering the user experience.
- Undo Batch Reserve – Checkboxes: The undo batch reserve code was updated to retain changes in checkbox states even if the table view was altered. This allows the user to check off multiple reservations across multiple pages and still undo those reservations when clicking “Undo Reservations”. A “Toggle” feature was also added to ease in the selection of all batch reservations.
- Opt Out of Receipt Email: The “Accept Payment” UI now has a selectable checkbox to “Email receipt to member”. A member will only receive a receipt if this checkbox remains selected when “Accept Payment” is pressed.
- Typo: Removed erroneous “and” from a help box.
Application Updates to Fix Bugs
- Events Changing Colors with Too Many Classes: Events would run out of default colors if too many classes are added to a calendar. To resolve this, events have been set one default color and the Event UI now accepts your input as a custom color.
- Waiver Signature Time: Waiver signature time’s now show as your facilities time zone. Originally, they showed the signature time as UTC, which was confusing for end users.
- Add/Edit Product Fields: The Add Product UI has been updated to not cutoff saved values if they contain quotes.
Nearly all of these changes are a result of end user input! You spoke and we listened. We are looking forward to releasing these updates and to begin our next round of updates – again from your input. Our next update will be primarily focused on a leaderboard and enhanced workout tracking for our CrossFit and Boot Camp base of users. Ultimately, we want to provide the best value to you. In addition to this update, we have a new list of requested updates that we will be parsing and implementing as we have the time.
Please see our recent infrastructure update at https://www.rhinofit.ca/october-dac-updates/.